Creating Symbols that Accept Blocks as Inputs
Symbols help you work more efficiently by centralizing reusable content. This document shows you how to configure your Symbol so that you can drag and drop blocks as needed into the Symbol. This is helpful for iterating on a Symbol, A/B testing, and targeting.
To add blocks to a Symbol, you need to have a Symbol to work with. If you don't already have one, create one with the instructions in How to Make a Symbol.
👉 Tip: If you use Builder's React SDK, make sure you're on a version >= 1.1.41.
Step 1: In the Symbol
To configure a Symbol to accept blocks, take the following steps:
- Open your Symbol.
- From the Code section of the Insert tab, drag in a Slot block.
- Click the Publish button.
👉 Tip: You can have multiple slots as long as you give them different names. You can set the name of a slot from the Options tab when selected.
Step 2: Using the Symbol
After you've published the Symbol, you can use it by following these steps:
- Open the page where you want to use the Symbol.
- In the Insert tab, expand the My Symbols section and drag in your Symbol.
- With your Symbol on the page, the Visual Editor indicates the Slot with a blue section and + Add Block button.
- Drag any block into the Slot.
Looking to hire a 3rd party to help with your project?
Submit a project request and our partnerships team will reach out to connect you with an Expert from our partner ecosystem.