Gain greater control over your content with Workflows and Rules. By combining the two, you can take a fresh approach to Content Governance for improved content quality, streamlined production, and better collaboration among team members.
Workflows allow companies to create a structured content creation process within the Builder.io platform. This means companies can define and manage stages, roles, and responsibilities that align with their internal processes.
An example might be a Blog Workflow with Stages of Draft, In Progress, Ready for Review, and Completed.
Rules give companies greater control over their publishing process through flexible publishing permissions and stage requirements. With Rules, companies can set specific criteria for publishing content entries or for moving them through the Workflow process. Examples might include:
- Only allow users who have a custom role of “Editor” to approve a content entry for publish.
- Only allow user “Janet” to publish when the locale is “English” for the “English Content” workflow.
By implementing Workflows in Builder.io, companies can streamline their content creation process and ensure that content is produced in a consistent and structured way.
To create a new Workflow, go to Account Settings, select Content Governance, and click the + New Workflow button.
Give your Workflow a name and a description that will help team members understand its purpose and scope.
Within the Create Workflow dialogue, you can:
- Select the Workflow Owner(s). This allows specific users to have administrative rights to control all aspects of the workflow and along with super rights to move stages without Rules being applied.
- Select which models to apply this Workflow to.
- Add Stages for the Workflow.
- Enable or disable the Workflow.
- Define the stages of your workflow by clicking the Add Stage button.
- Each stage represents a specific step in the content creation process, such as ideation, drafting, editing, and approval.
- Assign roles and responsibilities to team members for each stage. You can assign individual users or a role to a single stage for who is allowed to move a stage and who is allowed to edit content in the specific stage.
- Optionally, you can apply a Rule to the specific stage to requirements to move from this stage and publishing rights for the content entry.
With Rules, companies can set publishing permissions and stage requirements to ensure compliance with internal guidelines.
To create a new Rule, go to Account Settings, select Content Governance, and click Rules on the left.
Click the + New Rule button to define a new rule for your content process.
Give your Rule a name and a description that will help team members understand its purpose and scope.
Within the Create Rule dialogue, you can:
- Select what specific user(s) and/or role(s) is allowed to grant approval for this specific rule.
- Select which locales to apply this Rule to.
- Select which models to apply this Rule to.
- Optionally, you can open Show Advanced to add specific validations that will be applied to content entries for this rule.
- Enable or disable the Rule.
When you set up a rule, it applies to all content within the defined stages, which helps maintain compliance with internal guidelines throughout the content creation process.
To apply a Workflow Stage:
- Go to Account Settings, select Content Governance, and click the + New Workflow button.
- Click on the Workflow that you want to apply the Rule to or create a new Workflow
- Select the stage that you want to apply the Rule to
- Type in the Rule you want to add to the specific stage within the “Rules for this stage” input.
- Click Save to apply the Rule to the selected stage.
By using Rules in combination with Workflows, companies can ensure that content is created, reviewed, and published in accordance with internal guidelines and standards.
- Better support for localization (coming soon): The content API will provide improved support for localization, including querying based on localization features.
- Support for multi-level nested references (coming soon): The content API will allow you to query, resolve, and return content that has nested references of other contents and symbols.
Looking to hire a third party to help with your project?
Submit a project request and our partnerships team will reach out to connect you with an Expert from our partner ecosystem.