Use custom roles to create customized user permissions and workflows.
If you'd like to add this feature on to your Enterprise plan, contact your Account Executive, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to us through our contact form.
To define custom roles, make sure:
- You're familiar with Builder's standard roles and permissions.
- You have this feature as an add-on.
You can define new custom roles that have any—or all—of the below permissions and access:
User can can publish or unpublish content entries.
User can edit styles from the Style tab.
User can manage all users and billing.
User can add and edit code within Builder, such as custom HTML, CSS, JS.
User can add, remove, and rearrange blocks in the Visual Editor. When this setting is off, users can only edit options such as text and images.
User can add new content entries.
User can access all models or models the Admin selects.
User can access all locales or locales the Admin selects.
You can adjust permissions at the Space level or on a per-content model basis. This means you can allow custom roles to only have access to certain models and, within each model, you can apply filters to make the control even more granular based on the fields, data, and targeting properties associated with the model.
For example, if you want to use the same model across multiple projects—such as domains, locales, or environments—within the same space, but only allow certain users to access/view specific projects using that model, then you can create a custom role for that purpose using model-specific permissions and filters.
The sections that follow demonstrate the process for specifying basic permissions as well as permissions based on models along with using filters.
- Go to Account Settings.
- Click the Pencil icon to the right of Roles.
- Click + New Role.
- Give the new role a Name and Description.
- Choose the Permissions you'd like. See the previous table describing each.
- Click Save.
When choosing permissions as above, you can specify particular models.
- Follow steps 1-5 above.
- Select All Models if you'd like this role's permissions to apply to all models.
- Deselect All Models to display a list of all of the available models and choose the models to which you'd like to apply the permissions.
- To further refine permissions when selecting individual models, expand that model and click + Filter.
- Select the model's property to add permissions for that property.
- Click Save.
The following video demonstrates these steps.
Note that you can select any of the locales that you have configured. Additionally, you can select the Default locale; that is, whichever locale you've specified as your default locale.
Looking to hire a third party to help with your project?
Submit a project request and our partnerships team will reach out to connect you with an Expert from our partner ecosystem.