When you first sign up for Builder, an Organization is created for you. In addition, Builder creates your first Space for you using the name of your Organization. Your Space is where your content lives. You can add up to three Spaces underneath your Organization. If you have an Enterprise account, you can add as many as you like.
An Organization is essentially a central place to manage users, Spaces, and billing. You can think of an Organization the way you think of GitHub. If your company has a GitHub organization, inside that organization can be many repositories. Similarly, in Builder your company has one Organization. You can think of a Space as the Builder equivalent of a repository.
In addition, one Space generally relates to one website. So if your company has several websites, you would ordinarily create a Space for each one. That's not required, but it's common practice.
Here's a look inside an Organization. Here, Docs Sandbox is the name of the Organization and it contains two Spaces. You can access your Organization dashboard by hovering over your Organization and selecting it from the fly-out menu.
Here are the key points to note about Organizations:
- A company typically has only one Organization
- The Organization is where you manage users, billing, and Spaces
- An Organization can have multiple Spaces
- An Organization has any number of users
- To be a member of a Space, a user must be a member of your Organization, but if you try to add a user who isn't, Builder will ask you if you want to add the user, and then do it for you.
- Roles in Organizations are Admins and Members
- A Space can have some of the Organization's users but not others, so you can control which of your Organization's users can join each of your Spaces
- Roles in Spaces include Editor, Designer, Developer, Admin, and custom roles you create
- Typically, you have one Space per website
- A user can belong to more than one Organization (for example if they are freelancing for several companies)
- Rules for Shopify are different
- If you ever need to delete an Organization, contact us.
How Shopify is different
If you're using Shopify with Builder, the structure is a little different. For Shopify stores, your Organization and Space are actually rolled into one entity, the Organization. Within your Organization is your content, and you manage everything from there. If you happen to have two Shopify stores, then you have two Organizations, not two Spaces, which is where the real difference lies.
Need Expert help?
Submit a project to our partners, BuildQuick, and be matched with a Builder expert.